Friday, October 12, 2012

Friday Liberty Blogging - Death of a Robot



Just hit upon an old French song, "The Death of a Robot", by Daniel Balavoine, in 1980. It's amazing to think how up-to-date it is. Could very well be the original soundtrack of WALL-E. Here is a personal translation:

Tout articulé tout fabriqué
Bien programmé pour vous aider
Je suis robot depuis plus de 2 000 ans
J'ai déplacé tous les océans
C'était urgent, je le savais
J'ai réinventé le cycle des saisons
Et vos déserts sont pleins de poissons

Je sais, mes circuits sont usés
J'ai beaucoup travaillé
Faudrait les remplacer
Me laissez pas tomber Oh ! oh ! oh !
J'ai toujours dominé mes envies
Je n'ai jamais trahi
Jamais désobéi
Vous me devez la vie
Vous me devez la vie

Avant la dernière guerre atomique
Si pathétique que j'ai pleuré
J'avais réuni le conseil des savants
Le danger, c'est votre politique
Vos présidents sont dépassés
Mais avant qu'un fou n'appuie sur le bouton
Quittez la terre il est encore temps

Et la terre vous l'avez quittée
Mais moi, je suis resté
Quand vous étiez là-haut
Et je vous ai sauvés Oh oh oh
Si vous voulez m'assassiner
Après ce que j'ai fait
Moi qui vous ai aimé
Je peux tout faire sauter Oh ! oh ! oh !
Pas de problèmes pour me soigner
Vous m'avez fabriqué
J'ai appris à pleurer
Je vais apprendre à tuer Oh ! oh ! oh !
J'ai beaucoup travaillé
J'ai beaucoup travaillé...
All jointed all fabricated
Well programmed to help you
I've been a robot for more than 2,000 years
I displaced all oceans
It was an emergency, I know it
I reinvented the cycle of the seasons
And your deserts are now full of fish

I known, my circuits are overused
I've worked so much
They've got to be changed
Don't ditch me Oh! oh! oh!
I always controlled my desires
I never betrayed you
Never disobeyed
You owe me life
You owe me life

Before the last nuclear war
So pathetic it made me cry
I gathered the council of scientists
The danger is your politics
Your presidents are obsolete
But before someone crazy pushes the button
Leave the earth while it's time

And the earth you left
But I remained
When you were up there
And I saved you Oh! oh! oh!
If you want to assassinate me
After all that I've done
That I've loved you
I can blow up everything Oh! oh! oh!
Never mind healing myself
You created me
I've learnt to cry
I'll learn to kill Oh! oh! oh!
I've worked so much
I've worked so much...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I can read French, English, German and Romanian, please feel free to write in whichever language you prefer.